Modul "Mammalian and Plant Cell Technology
2. semester M Sc Biology, jedes Sommersemester
Modulverantwortlicher: Prof. Dr. Wilfried Weber
- Eva Decker
- Gerald Radziwill
- Ralf Reski
- Wilfried Weber
- Gertrud Wiedemann
The lecture will give a comprehensive overview of mammalian and plant cell technology and synthetic biology. The following areas will be covered:
- Mammalian and plant cell culture: handling, cultivating and propagating animal and plant cells.
- DNA transfer in cell culture and gene therapy.
- Synthetic biological switches and sensors to control and analyze cell fate and function.
- Design of synthetic gene networks for programming cells.
- Optogenetic systems
- Biomedical applications of synthetic biology.
- Synthetic biology in materials sciences.
- Scale-up: from bench to bioreactor.
- Founding a biotech start-up company.
In this course comprehensive practical experience will be gained in mammalian and plant cell technology:
- Observation and cultivation of mammalian and plant cells.
- Transfection of mammalian and plant cells
- Retroviral transduction and viral tropism.
- Design and implementation of synthetic gene networks
- Analysis of gene expression by enzymatic assays, fluorescence microscopy and immunological methods.
- Bioreactor operation for cells, moss and more.
- Purification and characterization of recombinant proteins.
- Cell encapsulation for cell therapy.
- Biohybrid materials as smart drug depot.
Insight into current trends of cell technology, synthetic biology and recombinant protein production.
To acquire comprehensive knowledge and practical experience along the cell technology value creation chain.