Prof. Dr. Christoph Borner
We are interested in elucidating the interactions between anti-apoptotic (Bcl-2, Bcl-xL, Mcl-1) and pro-apoptotic (Bim, Puma, Bax/Bak) Bcl-2 family members, uncovering components of apoptosis signaling induced by the RNA virus Semliki Forest (SFV) and the A. fumigatus fungal gliotoxin and studying their relevance in vivo, and identifying the mechanisms by which TNF? sensitizes primary hepatocytes and the liver to FasL-induced apoptosis.
10 selected publications:
- Viruses use the BH3-only protein Puma to trigger Bax/Bak-dependent apoptosis of infected mouse and human cells.
Papaianni E, El Maadidi S, Schejtman A, Neumann S, Maurer U, Marino-Merlo F, Mastino A, Borner C (2015).
PLoS One Jun 1;10(6):e0126645.
- A novel mitochondrial MAVS/caspase-8 platform links RNA virus-induced innate antiviral signaling to Bax/Bak-independent apoptosis.
El Maadidi S, Faletti L, Berg B, Wenzl C, Wieland K, Chen ZJ, Maurer U, Borner C (2014).
J. Immunol. 192, 1171-1183.
- TNF?-induced lysosomal membrane permeability (LMP) is downstream of MOMP and triggered by caspase-mediated p75 cleavage and ROS formation.
Huai J, Vögtle FN, Jöckel L, Li Y, Kiefer T, Ricci JE, Borner C (2013).
J. Cell Sci. 126, 4015-4025.
- Apoptosis induced by the fungal pathogen gliotoxin requires a triple phosphorylation of Bim by JNK.
Geissler A, Haun F, Frank D, Wieland K, Simon MM, Idzko M, Davis R, Maurer U, Borner C (2013).
Cell Death Differ. 20, 1317-1329.
- Interleukin-1R signaling is essential for induction of proapoptotic CD8 T cells, viral clearance, and pathology during lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus infection in mice.
Joeckel LT, Wallich R, Froelich C, Simon MM, Borner C (2012).
J. Virol. 86, 8713-8719.
- Cytosolic Bax: does it require binding proteins to keep its pro-apoptotic activity in check?
Vogel S, Raulf N, Bregenhorn S, Biniossek M, Maurer U, Czabotar P, Borner C (2012).
J. Biol. Chem. 287, 9112-9127.
- Phosphorylation of Tip60 by GSK-3 determines the induction of PUMA and apoptosis by p53.
Charvet C, Wissler M, Tang Y, Wang SJ, Brauns-Schubert P, Wang SJ, Tang Y, Sigloch FC, Mellert H, Brandenburg M, Lindner S, Breit B, Green DR, McMahon SB, Borner C, Gu W, Maurer U (2011).
Mol Cell 42, 584-596.
- Lysosomal membrane permeabilization and cathepsin release is a Bax/Bak-dependent amplifying event in apoptosis.
Oberle C, Huai J, Reinheckel T, Tacke M, Rassner M, Ekert P, Buellesbach J, Borner C (2010).
Cell Death Differ. 17, 1167-1178.
- Pin1 mediates GM-CSF and IL-5 prosurvival signaling in eosinophils by suppressing Bax activation and mitochondrial targeting.
Shen ZJ, Esnault S, Schinzel A, Borner C, Malter JS (2009).
Nat. Immunol. 10, 257-265.
- XIAP discriminates between type I and type II FAS-induced apoptosis.
Jost PJ, Grabow S, Gray D, McKenzie MD, Nachbur U, Huang DC, Bouillet P, Thomas HE, Borner C, Silke J, Strasser A, Kaufmann T (2009).
Nature 460, 1035-1039.