Dr. Ulrich Maurer
The decision whether a cell dies or survives is of major importance for tissue development and homeostasis, as well as the regulation of immune responses and the generation of diseases like cancer. We want to understand how a cell makes this decision. Growth factor availability and the sensing of various stressors are integrated in cell signaling pathways. Posttranslational modifications like phosphorylation or acetylation often defines the activity of signaling proteins in these pathways. Our group aims at indentifying those modifications, and to define their function in cell survival and death pathways.
10 selected publications
- GSK-3 - at the crossroads of cell death and survival.
Maurer U, Preiss F, Brauns-Schubert P, Schlicher L, Charvet C (2014)
J Cell Sci. 27,1369-78.
- Increased leukocyte survival and accelerated onset of lymphoma in absence of MCL-1 S159-phosphorylation.
Lindner SE, Wissler M, Gründer A, Aumann K, Ottina E, Peintner L, Borner C, Charvet C, Villunger A, Pahl HL, Maurer U (2014)
- Apoptosis induced by the fungal pathogen gliotoxin requires a triple phosphorylation of Bim by JNK.
Geissler A, Haun F, Frank DO, Wieland K, Simon MM, Idzko M, Davis RJ, Maurer U, Borner C (2013)
Cell Death Differ 20,1317-29
- Phosphorylation of Tip60 by GSK-3 determines the induction of PUMA and apoptosis by p53.
Charvet C, Wissler M, Brauns-Schubert P, Wang SJ, Tang Y, Sigloch F, Mellert H, Brandenburg M, Lindner S, Breit B, Green DR, McMahon S, Borner C, Gu W, Maurer U (2011).
Mol Cell 42, 584-96.
- The tyrosine kinase Syk regulates the survival of chronic lymphocytic leukemia B cells through PKC and proteasome-dependent regulation of Mcl-1 expression.
Baudot AD, Jeandel PY, Mouska X, Maurer U, Tartare-Deckert S, Raynaud SD, Cassuto JP, Ticchioni M, Deckert M (2009).
- Glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase and autophagy protect cells from apoptotic cytochrome c release in the absence of caspase activation.
Colell A, Ricci JE, Tait S, Milasta S, Maurer U, Bouchier-Hayes L, Fitzgerald P, Guio-Carrion A, Waterhouse NJ, Wei Li C, Newmeyer DD, Beere HM, Green DR (2007).
Cell 129, 983-997
- Glycogen Synthase Kinase-3 regulates mitochondrial outer membrane permeabilization and apoptosis by destabilization of MCL-1.
Maurer U*, Charvet C, Wagman A, Dejardin EM, Green DR* (2006).
Mol Cell 21, 749-60
- Connected to death: the (unexpurgated) mitochondrial pathway of apoptosis.
Spierings D, McStay G, Saleh M, Bender C, Chipuk J, Maurer U, Green DR (2005).
Science 310, 66-77 (Review)
- GSK3-mediated BCL-3 phosphorylation modulates its degradation and its oncogenicity.
Viatour P, Dejardin E, Warnier M, Lair F, Claudio E, Bureau F, Marine JC, Merville MP, Maurer U, Green D, Piette J, Siebenlist U, Bours V, Chariot A (2004).
Mol Cell 16, 35-45
- Pharmacologic activation of p53 elicits Bax-dependent apoptosis in the absence of transcription.
Chipuk JE, Maurer U, Green DR*, Schuler M* (2003).
Cancer Cell 4, 371-381